- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Opening a Wider Door to Alts

- Advertisement -

Stockholm (HedgeNordic) – Finnish insurance firm Mandatum Life is now adding alternative investments to its ML Allocation Equity investment basket, previously a fully equity-based strategy. Starting from September 15, around 85 percent of the investment basket’s assets will be invested in equities and the remaining 15 percent in alternatives such as private debt, real estate and private equity investments.

In connection with the change, Mandatum Life is also changing the investment basket’s name from ML Allocation Equity to ML Allocation Equity+. Mandatum Life’s Allocation Equity+ is an investment strategy aiming to exceed the average return delivered by equity markets in the long run through active portfolio management between various investment products, typically investment baskets and investment funds. The strategy can also invest in other investment instruments such as equities, alternative investments, fixed-income investments and derivatives.

“Adding alternative investments alongside equity investments brings diversification benefits, improving the investment basket’s return-risk ratio.”

“Adding alternative investments alongside equity investments brings diversification benefits, improving the investment basket’s return-risk ratio,” writes Mandatum Life in a press release. “Alternative investments play an important role in Mandatum Life’s co-investment strategy together with” Nordic insurance group Sampo, which owns Mandatum Life Insurance. “Going forward, those who have invested in the investment basket will also gain access to alternative investments that are only intended for institutional investors, drawing on our Group’s contact network, expertise and purchasing power. In alternative investments, co-investing takes place at the level of specific investments,” adds the press release.

“Going forward, those who have invested in the investment basket will also gain access to alternative investments that are only intended for institutional investors, drawing on our Group’s contact network, expertise and purchasing power.”

At Mandatum Life, alternative investments include various private debt investments, real estate and private equity investments. At the end of July, the portfolio of the now called ML Allocation Equity+ mostly comprised investments in various actively-managed equity-focused investment baskets at Mandatum Life and externally-managed equity investments funds and exchange-traded funds. ML Allocation Equity+ also had a 5.2 percent allocation to ML Slim Tail US Long/Short Equity Fund, a member of the Nordic Hedge Index. This vehicle employs a systematic strategy that adjusts its net exposure to equity markets between a negative 50 percent and a positive 100 percent using listed index futures depending on market conditions and fund flows.

 

Picture courtesy of Mandatum Life.

Subscribe to HedgeBrev, HedgeNordic’s weekly newsletter, and never miss the latest news!

Our newsletter is sent once a week, every Friday.

Eugeniu Guzun
Eugeniu Guzun
Eugeniu Guzun serves as a data analyst responsible for maintaining and gatekeeping the Nordic Hedge Index, and as a journalist covering the Nordic hedge fund industry for HedgeNordic. Eugeniu completed his Master’s degree at the Stockholm School of Economics in 2018. Write to Eugeniu Guzun at eugene@hedgenordic.com

Latest Articles

Niche Opportunities in Private Credit Amid Record Dry Powder Levels

Stockholm (HedgeNordic) – The evolution of private credit as an asset class has been remarkable, attracting increasing allocations from investors. Assets under management by...

Tidan Readies Systematic Macro Launch with Linus Nilsson

Stockholm (HedgeNordic) – Stockholm-based fund boutique Tidan Capital is broadening its suite of strategies with the upcoming launch of its systematic macro initiative in...

Chelonia to Embrace Long-Biased Strategy

Stockholm (HedgeNordic) – Despite securing a spot among the top 15 best-performing Nordic hedge funds this year as a market-neutral fund, Chelonia Market Neutral...

Nykredit Hedge Funds Battle to Reverse Downtrend in Assets

Stockholm (HedgeNordic) – Despite showing improved performance, the fixed-income hedge fund trio at Nykredit Asset Management is struggling to reverse a downward trend in...

“Boring” Short Sellers Partner with Sector for Fund Launch

Stockholm (HedgeNordic) – Renowned short seller Andrew Left has been quoted as saying that short sellers are becoming “a dying breed.” Despite the departure...

Adrigo Catapults into Top Five After Strong May

Stockholm (HedgeNordic) – Adrigo Small & Midcap L/S has surged into the top five best-performing Nordic hedge funds for the year, boasting a return...

Allocator Interviews

Latest Articles

In-Depth: High Yield

Voices

Request for Proposal

- Advertisement -